The National Security and Defense Council (NSDC) was approached by Human Rights Commissioner Dmytro Lubinets with a proposal to exclude the phrase “limited fitness.” According to the Ombudsman during a telethon, Ukrainian people with health concerns may not serve on the front lines.
Regarding the “limited fitness” determination: We have countless instances of certificates being awarded to citizens who are neither “unfit” nor suffer from any health problems owing to unethical tactics. The ombudsman said that this issue needed to be addressed because Ukrainian individuals with ongoing medical issues or long-standing diagnoses were given certifications of “limited fitness.”
He claims that the National Security and Defense Council (NSDC) separately examined this matter, during which time Lubinets suggested getting rid of the phrase “limited fitness.” A Ukrainian citizen should either be physically fit for military service or not, according to the ombudsman. “If, for instance, due to his health, he is unfit for combat duties with a rifle in hand directly on the front line, and he has, for example, back problems, he can serve in a headquarters or as part of the missile forces, or engage in military IT-related roles,” Lubinets said.
He claimed to have given the National Security and Defense Council (NSDC) a recommendation to control the “limited fitness,” “unfit,” or “fully fit” designations through particular military careers. According to Lubinets, this legislation should make it apparent to a Ukrainian citizen that, even if he has health concerns, he is still qualified to serve in some branches of the armed forces that are not directly involved in front-line fighting. He underlined that the process should be as transparent, clear, and digital as possible for the general public. Additionally, electronic databases should be accessible to the general public, medical professionals, and organizations in charge of parliamentary supervision.
According to the ombudsman, this will deter corruption and give a chance to properly defend citizen rights when they are abused. Additionally, Lubinets reported that 75% of the Medical Boards for Military Service (VVK) had already undergone inspection, with the other 25% scheduled to do so by the end of September.
Mobilization in Ukraine
With a few exceptions listed in the RBC-Ukraine article, male citizens in Ukraine who are 18 to 60 years old are currently subject to military conscription. In Ukraine, a new list of ailments that will be used to determine a person’s readiness for military service has recently been approved. In particular, all applicants will be deemed qualified for “controversial” categories. At the same time, Ukraine will still have health-related limits on military deployment.